Located in west-central Indiana, Lafayette readily accesses both Indianapolis to the southeast and Chicago into the northwest. Located on the banks of the Wabash River Lafayette is the county seat of Tippecanoe County and home to several prominent employers.
The town of Lafayette was platted in May 1825 by William Digby, a trader plying the Wabash River watershed. It was designated as the county seat of the newly formed Tippecanoe County the following year. Lafayette was named for Marquis de Lafayette, a French general on George Washington’s staff during the American Revolution. In 1824, Lafayette was invited by President James Monroe and Congress to visit the United States to celebrate the nation's upcoming 50th anniversary. It was during this two-year tour that Lafayette was lauded a hero and many frontier towns were named in his honor.